Streamlined Production and Scalable Distribution for Newsy's News Leadership
Newsy’s mission is to provide unbiased video streams of global news. Learn how Edgio simplified its production process, scaled distribution, and delivered a TV-like experience so it could become a news leader.
The internet is overflowing with opinion-laced media. Newsy saw an opportunity to provide a fresh point of view to capture younger audiences.
Challenges they faced in creating an on-demand, over-the-top (OTT) news channel included:
- Building infrastructure that addresses multiple video formats.
- Delivering linear and on-demand assets to third-party OTT partners without additional encoding or packaging.
- Scaling technology to meet demand spikes that come with breaking news.
- Increasing partnerships with streaming video platforms to grow audiences.
Edgio got Newsy to market quickly and easily with our streaming platform, Uplynk. With our simple, cloud-based platform, Newsy could ingest, encode, package, and deliver consistent, high-quality video streaming to audiences on any device, anywhere in the world. There’s no infrastructure to build or manage.
Technology that Newsy is leveraging includes:
- Smartplay technology creates highly personalized sessions by generating unique manifests for each viewer.
- Dynamic ad insertion delivers personalized ads to each viewer while eliminating latency associated with fetching ads during breaks.
- Our massive global network ensures a TV-like quality experience for users during periods of breaking news and unpredictable demand, regardless of how many concurrent users there may be.
Edgio has helped Newsy become a top-ranked news channel on Roku, Fire TV, and Apple TV.
Since utilizing the Uplynk platform, they’ve realized:
- Seamless TV-like viewing experiences in transition from programming to ads.
- Stronger viewer engagement and longer viewing times increase brand loyalty.
- Improved monetization of content and revenue growth.
- Increased the number of streaming syndication partners and platforms to grow nationwide viewership.